• English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Italiano

Saronno a great story

History

The city took the name by which it is known today only in the eighteenth century after being called first and then SOLOMMUM SERONIUM by its former rulers, the Celts, the Etruscans and then the Romans. In the Middle Ages Saronno became an important crossroads for trade and during a period of civil war between the various branches of the Visconti family, the city was surrounded by walls even for its military importance but which were later dismantled.

Around the middle of 1300 the village from militarized back to being predominantly agricultural character and craftsmanship. Subsequently Saronno was ruled by the Visconti, the Sforza and then by Biglia, by the end of 1700 beginning of 1800. Saronno during these centuries alternated splendours miseries. Worthy of note are the depredations suffered by the army of mercenaries, the epidemic of plague that afflicted in 1576 and the even more serious in its consequences, of 1629, which was cited by Manzoni in the famous novel "The Betrothed." At the beginning of the eighteenth century it was conquered by the Austrians Saronno, that domination was interrupted for a few years after that Napoleon, but in 1827 a great tragedy was lurking! The city was destroyed by a disastrous fire that razed the entire area of ​​the city. In the mid 1800 Saronno has just over 5000 inhabitants and the economy, mainly artisanal and agricultural begins slowly and shine. In 1879 the first industries: biscuit Lazzaroni, Parma safes, the Torley, the Isotta Fraschini that later became the Breda and many others. Also comes the all-important trunk railways north of the current that connects Milan and Saronno with this short-term follow those Como and Varese. Saronno after the First World War, passed by the Province of Milan in the province of Varese and in 1960 obtained the title of City for its rapid economic development.

Places of Interest

Saronno, famous worldwide for the cookies and the Lazzaroni Amaretto same name, is not only a thriving industrial center, but is also rich in art and culture.

This is demonstrated by the splendid shrine of Our Lady of Miracles. Built in a place where many healings took place, was built in 1498 in Renaissance style. It was rebuilt several times between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries assuming a baroque facade. Inside you can admire the splendid dome decorated with frescoes by Gaudenzio Ferrari and the work of Bernardino Luini.

A short distance from the Sanctuary, is Casa Morandi, built as a refuge for pilgrims today is used as a seat of the municipal library. Then there is the church of San Francesco, by tradition, was built by St. Anthony of Padua Church on a previously dedicated to St. Peter.
After a short course in Italy, characterized by arcades of nineteenth-century and animated by shops and restaurants, on Via Carcano you found the Museum Giannetti which houses a rich collection of porcelain industry Saronnesi and finally the Museum of industries and job Saronnese, dedicated to the theme of rail and industrial machinery dating from the late nineteenth century until the sixties of the last century.
 

Gli Hotels

La residenza
Hotels and Apartments
Messina
www.laresidenzahotel.net

SUITE SANTA TECLA
Hotels and Apartments
Milano
scopri Suite Santa Tecla


Hotel Cyrano
Saronno
www.hotelcyrano.it

 

Garage hospitalization vintage cars

Do not give up the convenience of leaving your car in our parking lot guarded vintage!

Shuttle Service

Free service for partner companies!